I've been in Japan now for 5 days and this is the first opportunity I've had to take a breath.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***************************************
Did everyone inhale and exhale? I hope so.
I've been here installing an art exhibition called The Missing Peace: Artists Consider the Dalai Lama. http://www.tmpp.org
It's a cool show and I've been working with it, on it for just over 2 years.
Even though the show has traveled from L.A. to Chicago, to New York City, San Francisco, and now Tokyo, this has been my first opportunity to travel for installation. Until now, I haven't felt comfortable leaving Amelia for such a long period of time. And even though it's awful and hard to be apart from my family, I dunno, maybe it's okay too.
I'll stop writing now and put up some photos....
My hotel room and the very chair I'm now sitting in!!!!
This is a really nice hotel room. Spacious and just right with two comfy beds, this nice desk with high speed internet, and a view. I won't say it's a good view, but it's vast:
Being here I feel big and small at the same time. I feel big when I try to squeeze into the tiny seats on the tiny bus, but really small when I try to think about the 12 million people living here.
My world thusfar has been mostly confined to my hotel, the "foodshow" in the basement of the adjacent department store (see photos below), the walk to the bus that takes me directly to the site of the exhibition. The work has been long and hard so I'm anxious to just wander.
Hmmm. Can't see much because there are SO MANY PEOPLE!! I'll have to take more photos tomorrow of this basement of banquets.
For now, it's off to bed. Going to try to find some yoga tomorrow morning.
Love to you all and especially to little Ame :)
1 comment:
You comment about the view—no end of city in sight—reminded me of my only time in New York City. I drove for fifty miles and was never off of streets with sidewalks and buildings right to the sidewalks with nothing green anywhere. Nightmarishly claustrophoblic to this Central Valley country kid—like something out of Kafka. I couldn't wait to get out and I've never wanted to go back. That's my image of the Big Apple, so it's never held any charm for me.
Post a Comment