Sunday, October 19, 2008

Way Up High!!

Today I visited the Mori Museum in Roppongi, a Tokyo neighborhood indistinguishable from my hotel's neighborhood. The museum is on the 54th floor of a circular tower building. On top (57th Fl) is an open air observatory (the highest in the world!!! omg!). Mom, you would have HATED it (for those who don't know, she doesn't like heights). Funny thing was, the air smelled like grease from all the kitchen exhaust being blown out into the sky!
Around the museum's perimeter on the 54th floor is a walkway with the same view as the observatory, but at least here you're glassed in. It was pretty cool to see the entire city, all 360 degrees of Tokyo. It wasn't clear, or else Mount Fuji would be visible (ooooh, aaaaah).
After art I caught a movie at the film festival happening in the same complex.
By the time I returned to my hotel I was done **un!** but paused outside long enough to film the "busiest pedestrian intersection in the world." (More ooohs and aaaaahs). I took the video below on sunday evening so it's not even the busiest time. Warning: you might want to turn the volume on your computer down before playing the video. It's unbelievably noisy.
Pics below:







Mom, this photo is for you. Orchids on steroids:

2 comments:

DeeDee said...

hey amy! great updates. i cannot believe that video! it must be insane during rush hour! keep enjoying yourself - love your stories!

nate said...

Hey Girl.
Wish I was there in the lover's sanctuary pic with you. It looks like you're having some really nice sightseeing time there. I think you're going to Ghibli today - I'm super jealous!! Can't wait to talk to you when you get up.
lyn